MalaMala Camp welcomes children of all ages. Children under 12 sharing accommodation with full-paying adults pay the quoted child tariff.
A number of family rooms are available which can accommodate an extra bed for a triple share or 2 extra beds for a quad share. We also have 2 sets of interleading rooms with a sleeper couch for a 5thperson. Please liaise with our central reservations office for the availability of the family friendly units.
Children aged five and under are not permitted to dine in the boma in the evenings. Special dining arrangements can be made and babysitting services provided on request, at a nominal charge. Children aged five and under are unable to join game drives, unless their parents/party have reserved exclusive use of a game-drive vehicle at an additional cost – please discuss this with our reservations consultants.
A MalaMala backpack, which includes an interactive checklist, bird and mammal colouring books, lip ice and water, is given to each child between the ages of four and 12
The ranger who will be hosting the family during their stay at Malamala game Reserve will assess the age, enthusiasm and independence of the children and in collaboration with the parents and guardians, various activities will be offered.
- The tracking of various animals from their spoor markings
- Teaching basic survival skills (where to find water, what plants are good to eat, medicinal uses of plants, and the toothbrush and toilet-paper trees)
- Teaching warning signs of dangerous animals and first aid for emergency situations in the bush
- A bush breakfast that helps children learn how to make a fire and to participate in meal preparation
- Communicating on the radio (out of game-drive times)
- Special meals and “ration packs” for children can be provided on the game drives.
Please Note: Sable Camp does not accommodate children under the age of 12, unless the entire camp is reserved exclusively, while Rattray’s Camp does not accommodate children under the age of 16.